Inspired by this off-topic question as an example, this is a follow-up question to this answer.
If it's true that that we won't (can but won't) ask for another close reason, should we modify this answer ...
Questions asking for code to be written to solve a specific problem are off-topic here as there is no code to review.
... to make it recommend that the OP ask their question on Programmers.SE including:
- A hyperlink to Software Engineering
- A brief explanation (if some questions are off-topic at Software Engineering) of what is an on-topic question at Software Engineering
Also rolfl posted a succinct explanation of the difference between Programmers, SO, and CR, which deserves to be more widely published (perhaps in the on-topic Help of all three sites):
- Software Engineering - I have no source code: I don't know how to do it right, how do I do it?
- Stack Overflow - I have broken source code: I tried to do it right, but it's broken, how do I fix it?
- Code Review - I have finished source code: now that I've done it, can it be made better?