So we all had some ideas and I really don't want to:
- Accuse anybody of stealing my ideas - it is great to see somebody use and enhance it or even make the incomplete idea (preprocessing + different structure in this case) into complete solution. I cannot even claim it was my own idea, it was just an idea. Anybody could make it up without reading my answer and/or comments.
- Steal anybody's idea making it my answer / solution: Lukazoid is now working on the preprocessing during loading, I have edited my answer based on his, asking author of the question for the loading-phase code and a hint, that it could possibly be solved there completely. Lukazoid did not join it into one phase and there is currently no code doing the preprocessing, just a note he has it but needs more work.
- Not doing that. That could hurt the outcome - perfect solution.
- Passing my answer to community wiki. This sounds like good idea, I would gain no benefit, no reputation points from it.
- Just let it be as it is. Is that bad?
EDIT: The solution taken was to move the added part to comment and placing small note about it in the original answer, while pointing out that the height map is in fact already the 2D/3D structure that can be used to find the neighbours. That makes it unique, without actually using anything from the second answer. (Of course there was something injected in the thought process from it, but I don't feel like stealing anything now, I have pushed my own original idea one step further.)