Over the past years(?) there's been a debate about the status of the optimization, performance, memory-optimization and code-size-optimization:
- January 2012: Tag synonyms (optimize -> optimization)
- Oct 2013: Tags for [optimization], [performance], [speed]
- Oct 2014: Should we just put an end to [optimization]?
On March 26 2015 the optimization tag was linked as a synonym pointing to performance.
Since then, no new questions have been created with the optimization, and any attempts to add optimization have been auto-converted to performance.
The "in limbo" state of the questions are currently:
- optimization: 1253
- performance: 1959
- Both: 177
Note that there are currently > 3000 optimization questions reported because of the synonym, even though there are only 1253 tagged that way.
optimization can no longer "grow", it can only shrink as things are edited.
There have been no issues reported since the synonym was introduced in March.
Has the time come to finally merge optimization in to performance so that:
- there are no double-tagged questions with both tags?
- there is a clean history?