The progress so far...
This room has been ongoing for a little more than two days now. In this time, there's been 24 requests to close and 1 request to reopen.
Some questions had comments that were just copy-paste of the close reason. I consider this not being helpful because of a few reasons:
- As an OP I would feel bad that someone just copy-pasted the official close reason and posted that as a comment.
- Once the question is closed, the comment is totally obsolete. If they would be flagged I would definitely remove them without question. The idea of the comments is to be a separate explanation of the reasons behind the closure.
- They are not focusing much on how to fix or what is the next constructive step for the OP to take.
The ideal comment is a comment that:
- Starts friendly
- Explains why the question is off-topic, preferably also with reasoning about why this is rule exists on the site
- Ends constructive by focusing on what the OP can do to fix this. What is the next step for the OP to take to create positive content and become a good member of Code Review Stack Exchange?
Now let's take a look at some statistics:
Of these 24 questions that were mentioned as "close-vote please", there are:
- Questions that has a comment that is just a copy-pasted close reason: 9
- Questions with helpful comments by people from the chat room: 12. Extra credit to Thomas Ward for posting helpful comments.
- Questions with helpful comments from other people than the chat room: 5
- Questions with no comments at all: 2.
- Questions from entirely new users with no comments at all: 2. (Same 2 questions as above)
- Questions that actually are on-topic: 2
- Questions that are in a gray area: 2 (at least 2 that I consider being in the gray-zone)
- Questions with an old user saying "Damn, this place is hostile": 1
So far, I am not impressed.
I really don't want to see questions from new users being closed without a comment.
I would like to see more than 50% of the questions having constructive comments from people from the chat room.
I would like to see more constructive comments that are not just copy-pasting the close reasons.
I don't want this to be an angry mob of people that are just down-voting and closing things.
I do see another way to increase the quality of Code Review: Create more positive content. Vote on good things. Post good questions. Share good answers.
I am hoping that one day I will see a "SE Code Review Great Questions Room".