Synonym Request

I came across this question screen-transition-effect-like-in-final-fantasy-games where OP makes their custom easing function in order to smoothly transition a color over an image. I did not find any tag that suited so I created a new tag easing.

Usage guidance:

Easing functions specify the rate of change of a parameter over time. Use this tag when you are using a function to transition the state of an object over a period of time.

I did, however, found another tag animation afterwards.

Usage guidance:

For questions related to graphical animations. This includes, but is not limited to sliding, tweening, rotating and resizing of shapes.

I feel these two tags are closely related. The difference is that an easing function is not limited to graphical animations. I do believe they relate closely enough to be deemed synonyms.

What would you suggest?


1 Answer 1



I don't think this solves anything.

  1. Maybe I'm different to most as I normally pick well known categories and groups. Think [math] rather than [binomial expansion].

  2. There are not many easing questions. (I had to add a second search term because otherwise it comes back with "ease" which isn't what we're searching for.)

    Most of the questions seem to be because they inculcated a CSS easing parameter. Where people will probably think CSS 3 animations way before easing.

  • \$\begingroup\$ If, as you say, animations is the most common name for this type of smoothing, there would indeed be no need for a synonym. \$\endgroup\$
    – dfhwze
    Aug 27, 2019 at 18:04
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ On top of that, I don't think they're similar enough. Sounds like you can do easing without animation. \$\endgroup\$
    – Mast Mod
    Aug 27, 2019 at 18:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Mast Yeah, looks like that's right. \$\endgroup\$
    – Peilonrayz Mod
    Aug 27, 2019 at 19:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .