I have designed and worked on GCC MELT (a high level domain specific language to ease development of GCC extensions, free software, GPLv3+). I'm working in France, near Paris, at CEA, LIST as a research engineer. I'm now working on bismon (a successor in spirit to GCC MELT), with funding (in 2018-2021) from H2020 CHARIOT and DECODER projects.
I am an enthusiast of free software, and know quite well Linux (which I am using since 1994)
I think that high-level languages are important, and that declarative knowledge-based systems should be more used (see J.Pitrat's blog ...)
You might contact me by an email to
net but please give the URL of your question in your message.
I was born in 1959, I am a man, a husband, a grand father, and have a PhD in CS (artificial intelligence, 1990, Paris LIP6) and graduated from ENS Cachan.
My native tongue is French. My parents spoke Russian to me. In Russian my full name is Василий Дмитриевич Старынкевич ; in English my first (christian) name is spelled Basil. If you send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org use French, or English, or Russian and mention the URL of your question. My Russian spelling is so bad that I dare not use it in emails (so I would answer in English to any Russian email).
PS. I intend to continue working on persistent reflexive systems during retirement, e.g. in http://refpersys.org/ .... I find H2020 projects excessively bureaucratic: its paperwork is really overwheling.
My email is public:
email@example.com and I don't use social media. I am considering starting (in second half of 2020) a freelancing activity; for that contact me to
Member for 4 years, 5 months
23 profile views
Last seen Dec 4 '17 at 18:06
- Stack Overflow 197.3k 197.3k 1616 gold badges223223 silver badges441441 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 30.2k 30.2k 55 gold badges7272 silver badges112112 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 9.1k 9.1k 2323 silver badges4747 bronze badges
- Academia 1.6k 1.6k 99 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Open Source 1.2k 1.2k 66 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 242 What are good habits for designing command line arguments?
- 160 Why are multiple programming languages used in the development of one product or piece of software?
- 156 How do I use CMake?
- 154 Why are there so few C compilers?
- 138 Why do you need to put #!/bin/bash at the beginning of a script file?
- 131 Unusual usage of .h file in C
- 110 Why is C++ template use not recommended in a space/radiated environment?
- View more network posts →